Monday, April 23, 2012

MLS Recap Week 7

Major League Soccer is truly the league of parity. Week 7 of MLS action held both goals and surprises. The Dynamo took a point on the road, LA won in dramatic fashion, RSL was reduced to nine men and DC United crushed the New York Red Bulls. Pedro Gomes has your recaps this week.

Toronto FC 2, Chicago Fire 3

Toronto FC hosted the Chicago Fire at BMO Field under some blistery conditions. The match itself got off to a blistering start as Dominic Oduro recorded the first goal of the match in the 1’ after taking advantage of a poor pass from Toronto’s Torsten Frings. Toronto would respond in the 36’ off the right foot of Reggie Lambe who unleashed an absolute rocket to the top right corner from just outside the box. Lambe would pull Toronto ahead 2-1 in the 40’ after pouncing on a loose ball in the box. Ryan Johnson had gotten behind the Chicago defense and sent a pass across the face of goal that Matt Stinson couldn’t get on the end of butt fell to Lambe on the back post. Chicago wasted no time in responding as Gonzalo Segares poked home a long free kick a minute later. Patrick Nyarko would seal the come from behind victory for Chicago in the 58’ on a quick counter attack play by Chicago. Nyarko was sprung by Oduro in the midfield, took a touch around an on-rushing Milos Kocic, and slotted the ball home for the game winner.

Columbus Crew 2, Houston Dynamo 2

The Columbus Crew hosted the Houston Dynamo at Crew Stadium in front of 10,479. Both teams couldn’t find the net in the first half as their offenses failed to create many quality chances. It would take an Adam Moffat corner and cheeky Will Bruin header in the 58’ to finally break the deadlock as Houston took the 1-0 lead. Columbus’ Eddie Gaven would capitalize on a glaring defensive error by Houston’s backline in the 63’ to level the game at 1-1. Eddie Gaven would find the back of the net again in the 74’ when he blasted a left-footed shot from outside the box that caught Houston’s Keeper, Tally Hall, going the wrong way. Houston’s Brian Ching would get the equalizer in the 81’. Ching poked in a cleverly placed ball right in front of goal by Will Bruin to salvage a hard earned road point for the Dynamo.

Colorado Rapids 1, LA Galaxy 2

The Los Angeles Galaxy traveled to Dick Sporting Goods Park to face the Colorado Rapids in front of 19,152 supporters.  The Galaxy would strike first in the 21’, however it was Colorado’s Marvell Wynne who got credited with an own goal on the play. David Beckham sent a free kick deep into the left side of the penalty box that Mike Magee headed back across goal that Marvell unfortunately deflected into his own net from a couple of yards out.  The Galaxy would add a second in the 39’ on a quick counter-attack that finished with Landon Donovan slotting a ball under the feet of Matt Pickens. However, Colorado’s Omar Cummings would get the Rapids back in the game in the 63’. Cummings carried the ball and a Galaxy Defender for nearly 20 yards and then unleashed a blast from the left side of the box and into the far side netting, giving Josh Saunders little chance to stop it. The 90’ saw a controversial penalty kick decision awarded to the Rapids, but, Omar Cummings ensuing penalty was saved by Josh Saunders and LA held onto the victory and the 3 points.

Vancouver Whitecaps 1, FC Dallas 0

The Vancouver Whitecaps welcomed visiting FC Dallas to BC Place where the roof was opened and 18,027 fans were on hand to enjoy the game. The Whitecaps wasted little time in treating the home crowd to a goal as Camillo put a beauty in the back of the net in the 11’. Camillo dribbled through and around a couple of FC Dallas defender’s on the left side of the box and curled a hard shot past Chris Seitz and into the far side netting for the1-0 Whitecap lead. Both teams had a few decent opportunities to put some more goals on the board but both Keepers were up to every task and the game ended 1-0 in favor of Vancouver. It was a tough hard-fought victory for the Whitecaps as they looked to reverse some recent poor performances in the early part of the season.

Chivas USA 0, Philadelphia Union 1

The Philadelphia Union traveled to the Home Depot Center to face Chivas USA in front of 14,127 supporters. The Union would get on the board in the 40’ when Freddy Adu flicked a back-heel shot just in front of goal. The Union’s Michael Farfan displayed some great dribbling skills around a couple of Chivas defenders on the right side of the box before sending a ball toward the center of the box. The pass appeared to be handled by James Riley, but the Chivas player slipped on the play and the ball fell right to Aduo who back-heeled it in. Although the rest of the match saw no goal it still had plenty of action. The Union’s Keon Daniel saw straight red for swinging through Chivas’ Ryan Smith in the 75’. Then in the 85’ The Union’s Gabriel Farfan went into a hard two footed tackle with Chivas’ James Riley and saw straight red for the challenge. The challenge also sparked a bench clearing scuffle that saw Union Head Coach, Peter Nowak, go onto the field and later be sent off for his involvement in the scuffle. The match would end with the Union down to 9 men but still a goal ahead and they left the HDC with 3 points.

Portland Timbers 1, Sporting Kansas City 0

The Portland Timbers hosted Sporting Kansas City at JELD-WEN Field in front of a crowd of 20,438 supporters. Sporting Kansas City carried a perfect 7-0-0 record into the game and were looking to build on the streak. However, in the 41’ the Portland Timbers took a 1-0 lead off of a Chance Meyers own goal. The Timber’s Chris Boyd crossed a dangerous ball to the back post from the right side of the field that saw both Chance Meyers and Julio Cesaer attempt to clear the ball out of danger. However, the ball went off Meyer’s head and into the back of his own net. Both teams applied plenty of pressure onto each other’s goals but could not get any more goals on the scoreboard. The game ended 1-0 in favor of the Timbers and officially ended Sporting KC’s perfect run to start the 2012 MLS season.

San Jose Earthquakes 3, Real Salt Lake 1

The San Jose Earthquakes hosted Real Salt Lake at Buck Shaw Stadium in front of 10,202 fans. The match took a large turn in the 29’ when Fabian Espindola was shown a Red Card for going into a challenge with San Jose’s Sam Cronin with a two footed challenge. San Jose’s Khari Stephenson would put the Earthquakes ahead in the second minute of first-half stoppage time. Stephenson headed a Steven Beitashour cross down and with pace that eluded a diving Nick Rimando for the 1-0 San Jose lead. Despite being a man down, RSL would equalize in the 53’ from their Captain, Kyle Beckerman.  Beckerman showed great skill dribbling the ball around a couple of San Jose players before calmly finishing past Jon Busch to the near post.  Real Salt Lake would go down to 9 men following a controversial Red Card given to Jamison Olave in a battle with Steven Lenhart.  San Jose would finally break the deadlock in stoppage time with a nice diving header from Simon Dawkins in the 92’. San Jose’s Chris Wondolowski would add another goal a minute later and the match would end 3-1 in favor of San Jose.

DC United 4, New York Red Bulls 1

The New York Red Bulls traveled to face DC united at RFK where 13,262 supports showed up despite some tough weather.  This match was all DC through most of the game and the scoring began early in the 8’ with a Chris Pontius blast following a NY turnover in midfield. Pontius would add a second goal in the 32’ when Maicon Santos fought through 3 New York defenders and sent a pass toward the center of the 6 yard box that deflected off a NY defender before Pontius blasted it home. DC would add a third goal in the 36’ following another NY turnover. The ball took an awkward bounce off of New York Victor Palsson and fell to Dwayne DeRosario who found Nick DeLeon alone near the top of the box. His shot took a deflection off a NY defender and into the net. Chris Pontius would net his Hat Trick in the 69’. Pontius dribbled around a New York defender and slipped a shot under Ryan Meara for the 4-0 DC lead. New York Thierry Henry did manage to get New York on the scoreboard with a free-kick that went up and over the DC wall and into the top of the near corner of the net.  DC would hold onto the lead and walk away with all 3 points on the night.

No comments:

Post a Comment